Humble Beginnings

Litchfield Train Station located N of Stone Road & W of Route 83

Litchfield Township was originally part of the Western Reserve, a tract of land King George II promised to the Colony of Connecticut in 1662.

Just after the war of 1812, an eastern land speculator and Puritan named Judge Uriel Holmes, Jr. of Litchfield, Connecticut bought the land in this area.  Although records are scarce, it seems no one settled permanently in the territory at that time, even though he built three roads, including Smith Road.  When no one claimed the land, its ownership reverted back to the state of Connecticut and was later set apart as No. 3, Range 16.

The dwellings of the Wyandot Indians were seen along Center Creek as late as 1822, but they eventually moved to other lands as the newcomers to Litchfield and Liverpool vied for the wild game.  No traces of them were found by the first settlers of Litchfield Township.  

Official settlement of this area began in February of 1830, when Cyrus Cook of Connecticut, his wife and child built a brush hut on the north part of the township land.  That May, a group of Connecticut farmers and their families arrived; they had purchased or traded for tracts of land.  These were our first settlers.  In more recent history, the township was known for dairy production, specifically cheese.  The term Western Reserve lives on in such institutions as Western Reserve Academy and Case Western Reserve.  

And thus begins the story of our township.  

 

Works Cited

Perrin, William Henry and JH Battle.  History of Medina County and Ohio: Containing a History of the State of Ohio, from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present      Time. Chicago: Baskin & Battey. 1881. EPUB file.

Wikipedia contributors. “Litchfield, Ohio.” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 14 Mar. 2017. Web. 25 May. 2017.